
The first car I owned was a 1980 Datsun 210B. It was as exotic as it sounds. The car was simply craptastic. It was chipped and dented and it shook like a cardboard box in a wind tunnel when I traveled at its top racing speeds - about 45 miles an hour. If I had a stiff wind at my back I could get it up to 55 MPH. The car - and I use the word loosely- was held together by rust and a prayer. Once, when I was attending Palomar College, I turned into a parking space and pulled on the emergency brake to park it. Suddenly, the entire brake mechanism came up in my hands and I could see the asphalt beneath my car. Never one to panic, I hopped out of the car and opened the hatchback to retrieve the trusty two-by-four I kept back there. I wedged the wood under my back tires to keep it from rolling away, and went to class. Now, you may ask why I had a two-by-four in my trunk. Well, I used that baby for propping up the aforementioned hatchback, because whenever I unloaded or loaded groceries into the trunk, the lid had a nasty habit of slamming down on the unwary head. The only thing that was good about the car was that it's passenger seat reclined. It only reclined. All the way back. The seat could no longer stay upright, and this certainly cut down on the number of people requesting a ride in my flying death trap. Another feature that wasn't mentioned on any brochure was that you could tell when it had rained over night, because the floor in the back seat would be soggy the next morning.
I learned so much with that car, for example- I can single-handedly perform a push start. I learned to differentiate the scent of mildew, rust and brake fluid. I know the signs of your alternator going out, or your radiator hose busting. Things like that, they don't cover in driving school. Now I look back fondly on the days when the wind would whistle through my socks.
I added an image, just to give you a taste, an impression of my fond memories. I added the rust in Photoshop, so it would do justice to my memories...

1 comment:
You crack me up. It is a little scary how our lives parallel one another... Or rather did, as I was hoping for twins, but it just turns out that by the time you get around to having a third child, you look fatter faster... Neat. Love reading your stuff Heather!
Post a Comment