Thursday, April 28, 2011

Gaslighting

I swear that Brent has been gaslighting me. (Look it up, or better yet, watch the movie on TCM.) He has been swiping my things and moving things about the house. I am already a bit unbalanced, why push me over the edge? He must have more time on his hands than I thought.

Lately, when I am trying to sleep, he starts talking about grit filters and other such dreadfully dull things from work. I think he is trying to help me sleep since I have been off the Ambien. However, it is driving me nuts. I really do want to sleep. Last night I remember it was around 11PM when he started talking. This time, I fought back. Every time he tried to talk, I started singing the song "Oklahoma!" I must have gone through three verses before he gave up talking and went to sleep. At least our marriage isn't boring.

Between the two of us, there is no way my children will turn out well-adjusted. True, normal is overrated. But nobody wants to raise kids that mumble to themselves and plot the maniacal overthrow of the local community center. 'Well-adjusted' has its' merits. This morning Alex went to preschool with a canvas hat that he declared was to rescue jungle animals. At the preschool. He has been insisting that he needs an ant farm for his birthday. He says it is so he can have lots of little friends, presumably to do his bidding. His evil, evil bidding. I am not going to give him a small army capable of launching terrorist strikes upon my pantry. He is just one example of the three older kids, and their quirky ways.
Well, Ellary still has a chance to come out normal. Though with Brent and the three older kids, I have my doubts of that happening.
Addendum: yes, he will be getting an ant farm for his birthday. He's been asking for one for months. Usually, my kids can't remember what they had for breakfast. So when he can remember something, week after week, I tend to reward that.
Addendum part Deux: The site that sells ant farms, also sell ant "re-population kits". I assume they market these kits to kids like mine. Well-intentioned, but murderous kids. We once had a 150 gallon aquarium. One morning Zack and Alex snuck downstairs to feed the fish before I got there. They emptied the entire Costco sized container into the tank, killing all the fish except the plecostomus. Maybe I should pre-order a few re-population kits.

No comments: