Monday, February 21, 2011

My $4 Butterfly

It all started one night when I couldn't sleep. I wanted to hang something on the wall over Ellary's crib, but I couldn't think of something safe, super light-weight, and non-lethal should it fall. In Southern California you just don't hang decorative things over a crib, unless you want one to fall and bonk your baby in the noggin during a 3.5 earthquake. Suddenly, I had it! FOAM BOARD! I nearly sat up in bed - something made out of foam board! I got so excited about the possibilities, that I nearly went down to Walmart at 4 AM to get a few sheets of it. I'm a little impulsive when I get an idea.
So with 2 sheets of foam board, I carved out each piece with my trusty X-acto knife. Then I realized there was a problem, the edges were pitted and chunky. Apparently when you cut foam board, small pieces of foam pop out between the sandwich of the paper. I wish I had known this tidbit of information. So the edges needed to be filled with a little plaster. I cut out each part of the wings, to give it a 3D look. Except for the hearts. I totally cheated and got them at Micheal's. Once dried, I sanded all of the edges, applied primer and painted. A little hot glue and a coat of sealer, and voila! It is about 22" across at the widest and has little curling antennae at the top. I think I need to start a business doing this stuff. It is so much fun!



One sheet of foamboard makes a big butterfly!



All the different parts of the butterfly- primed, and waiting for paint.

No comments: