I am getting this question a lot, but first let me say a BIG thank you to my awesome family! You guys are incredible. I already said thanks about a dozen times on the phone, but let me say it again - THANKS for the help!
Brent has applied to several dozen companies, and until he finds something offering more than unemployment pays, he keeps looking. If he was bagging groceries, we'd be worse off if they shut off the unemployment checks. Also, he can't go back to school full time because the government won't finance that with unemployment checks, either. So I have applied to about 4 companies a week, for administrative duties, engineering document controller, etc. I have three different resumes, from: "I'm an excellent electrical drafter, formerly employed by a major utility company" all the way down to : "I'd be honored to pump your gas and wipe your windshield."
Still no takers.
I have applied directly to Target, Albertsons, and other fine retailers in our area. I am also signed up with about seven job placement agencies. I have no doubt I will find something very soon, I have just been hoping that it will pay more than minimum wage. And that my nephew Calvin won't be my boss.
Well, our timeshare is listed to sell, now at a lower price, so any day we will get a check in the mail. And our tax refund was due to come last month, but Brent accidentally transposed Alex's SSN, so they dinged us about $1000. But Brent straightened them out and the money should be here soon. So we are hanging in there. We we will be fine. The kids still think that every day is Saturday with Daddy home.
The kids have a hole that they dig in out in the backyard. They use all my nice serving spoons, but I remember my mom letting us do the same thing, so it's okay with me. The hole is behind a bush and a small tree, so they call it the 'jungle'. Zack likes to tell the twins: "Hey, lets go dig dirt in the jungle!" He bosses those twins around so much it's hilarious when they revolt against him. Boy, that ticks him off when they won't go where he tells them.
I had our yearly parent - teacher meeting with Zack's teacher last week. (also known as an IEP.) First of all, she is an awesome teacher who genuinely loves Zack. The good news is he is testing in several areas at an above-age level. Which is good, but who knows if that will last, since lots of kids develop differently and other kids may catch up. But I think he's exceptional. That's what matters. Anyways, he is making some great improvements, and we also have some set backs. It's hard to explain a lot of what was discussed because it might not seem like a problem, but in the context of how his brain works on problems, sometimes behaviors that are small are signs he's not handling things well, and we want to tackle it early. He is doing really well on the social side of things, like playing with other kids. But not so well in some other areas, like handling minor changes from the norm. Some class situations that he used to handle well are causing him to chew and suck on his hands to such a degree that his teachers were worried it might hurt him. We've gone over his options, and the teachers and aids are going trying a few things we decided might help to redirect his issues and help him cope. The good thing is this isn't something they haven't dealt with before. They are really on top of things over there at his school. The best news I got is that his teachers believe that when it comes time for kindergarten, he is on track to attend a mainstream class, and he will likely not need a teachers aid for assistance. Which we thought he might need for a few years. So this is really good news.
The twins are doing awesome, and talking up a storm. Tonight I was carrying Sadie upstairs to bed and I said: "Sadie, can't you walk up stairs by yourself?" and she looked up at me and said: "No, I'm busy. You need to carry me." Spoiled little princess. How I LOVE it. I am creating a monster, but I can't help it. She is so cute she deserves my spoiling. Alex is hilarious as always. He is still my cuddliest kid, which is amazing since at any other time, he CAN NOT SIT STILL. He is the fastest little bumblebee of a little boy you have ever seen. He cracks me up.
So that's our family. We're doing good, we love each other and we are trying to look at this trial as a great time to spend with the kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I can totally empathize - my husband's been out of work for eight months. He is starting a new job on Monday, though, so I can definitely say that there's hope!
Also, I love that your daughter was too "busy" to walk up the stairs by herself! :P
Post a Comment