Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sadie Sings The Blues




The other day Sadie decided that her usual 6:30 wake up call wouldn't do, so she squalled in her crib at 5 AM. Brent was leaving for work so he hauled her into our room, for me to deal with. Normally the kids never sleep in our room, but at 5 AM I was willing to let her snuggle down in the covers, hoping she might fall back asleep. At first she laid there with her head on Brent's pillow, facing me. I thought maybe this would work, I could grab a few more seconds of sleep. I closed my eyes, but I could feel her watching me. I opened my eyes and she grinned her big toothy grin and whispered: "hi mommy." Yeah, it would melt your heart - if it weren't 5 AM. Nothing is cute at 5 AM. So I whisper: "go to sleep, Sadie." and I close my eyes. I wait several seconds to see if she got the idea I was asleep, and I took a peek. There she was, starting straight at me. She whispered: "hi mommy" Finally I roll over. I thought she would take the hint. It was silent. Moments pass. I start to drift off.
Slowly. quietly I hear it. She's softly singing.
"Twinkle, twinkle...star...wonder... you are...above world so HIGH.." the song increases in volume, she is really getting into it: "TWINKLE, TWINKLE STAR HOW... wonder what you... AAAAARRRREEEE!"
The rendition becomes more fervent, -I put my pillow over my head. She switches songs, but not the tune. "a, b, c, d, eFT! h, i JAYKAY Elmo PEE!"
Two verses later, I can't take it anymore.
I throw the blankets aside. I am up for the day. She wins, and triumphantly she looks up at me and says: "hi mommy."

1 comment:

damnitgigi said...

She is about the most awesome thing on the planet. Tell her I love her. And send me more video.